Pages

Wednesday 3 October 2018

Fabric Book





This is my latest creation, one I've been working on for some weeks but decided to wait until it was finished before I revealed it.

I've been drawn to hand made fabric books for some time so felt it was time I made one myself and as the sea and beaches play such a large part in in life, it was a no-brainer when it came to the subject.

So, what's inside .......


Starting with the sea, I layered various fabrics, lace and trimmings which were hand stitched to a background of indigo dyed fabric (fabric I have had for  over 25 years!).  I added some hand stitching including French knots, buttonhole stitch and straight stitch before oversewing around the edges.


For this seashells page, I starting by cutting my own rubber stamp with two different sized shells.  I've used shells in other pieces of work and have looked before for a rubber stamp but as I could never find one, I thought cutting my own would mean I'll have it to use in the future.

The shells were printed on to a piece of my own dyed  yellow fabric and the outlines were hand stitched with backstitch.   The text was printed on to tape and attached with running stitch.  Pieces of shell were added to finish before the edges were again oversewn.


I just love beach huts so they had to be included.   I always take photos of beach huts when I see them so this one, taken at Avon Beach, was printed on to fabric and applied to a background of blue and yellow fabric which I had dyed.   Simple straight stitches were added to the 'sand' to represent the grass that grows on the beach and a couple of seagulls were added to the sky.  Again, as with every page, the edges were oversewn.



No trip to the beach is complete without building a sandcastle!   We've made many when having a day on the beach with the grandchildren so they had to feature in this book.

This was quite simple - backstitched outlines on a piece of hand dyed fabric.


Some years ago, I took a photo of a wooden groyne at Littlehampton in which seaweed had become trapped and then been bleached by the sun.   At the time I was very taken with the image and felt sure there was something creative I could do with it and finally it's happened. 

I started with a piece of cream fabric which I coloured in various ways including paint and water soluble crayons and pencils and adding the timber grain lines with a drawing pen,   I wanted the colour to be quite subtle which is why it looks as though the fabric has not been coloured!

I created a piece of seaweed by machine embroidery on soluble fabric but as it was a bit stiff I cut in to it to roughen it up a bit.  This was stitched into a slit in the fabric along with various lengths of different threads.  A line of backstitch was added along the bottom for balance.



The final fishy page has the outline of a fish in stem stitch with lines of sequins had stitched in rows. Lines of backstitch and fly stitch added detail to the fins and tail and feather stitched was used for the seaweed.   The text was backstitch around the edge.

When I came to the cover I used up scraps and off cuts of blue and yellow fabric that I had used for the pages.  I used bondaweb to secure the pieces and then added running stitch and lines of straight stitch to secure some of the edges.   I put a piece of light fusible Vilene to give the cover a bit more weight and then buttonholed around the edge of the cover and lining.

The pages and cover were secured with stitching down the spine.



Hopefully this will be the first of many fabric books!

No comments:

Post a Comment