Pages

Wednesday 31 October 2018

Eco Printing

For a long time now I have been wanting to have a go at eco printing and dyeing and have read loads of posts online as well as purchasing the odd book or two but there's always been something putting me off as it is something completely new to me.

Then in the very first WOW book there was a workshop from Caroline Bell which was so easy to follow I knew I must have a go.

The first thing it required was some iron (or ferrous sulphate) water and as I still have several rusty bits of iron left from the time I was creating rusty textiles, I knew it had to be done.   I put rusty nails and other smaller bits of rusty iron into a jam jar with half and half water and white vinegar and then left them for several weeks.  I gave the jar an odd shake when I thought about it but don't think it is really necessary.

The leaves I used came from around and about, including some wonderful acer leaves from my sister's garden and it was finding these that really pushed me on with the experiment.

Following Caroline's instructions, I layered up abaca tissue and khadi paper with iron water and leaves, clamped them between two tiles and boiled them for 30 minutes.   Because my tiles were only half covered by the water, I did flip them over after the 30 minutes and did the second side for another 30 minutes. (Must look out for a bigger saucepan!)

The Acer leaves on khadi paper

Other leaves on abaca tissue

Other leaves on abaca tissue

Other leaves on abaca tissue

My initial feelings about the results were a bit mixed.  The acer leaves which I used on the khadi paper were really good but the other leaves - mainly oak, birch and sycamore - on the tissue were very black and on first sight, not very appealing.

I wondered whether the iron water was too strong and needed to be diluted a bit; also whether I'd used too much; or it could have been that I boiled them for too long.  These are all options I will explore the next time round.

I haven't finished working through Caroline's workshop as I wanted time to think before going on.  I posted these photos on the WOW Book Facebook group and received lots of positive and encouraging comments, including many suggestions that they looked as though they should be made into books.

When I have made more progress with them I will let you see what I've done.


No comments:

Post a Comment