Pages

Sunday 4 February 2018

Dyeing orange fabric

On my trip round the colour wheel for this year's Journal Quilts, I was horrified to find for the February one I had no orange fabric so this week I set to and created some.

Now my dyeing practice in the past has always been a 'chuck it all in and see what comes out' but this time round as I wanted a particular colour I thought I would be more methodical. As usual, I  turn to "Dyeing in Plastic Bags" by Helen Deighan and used her methods and recipes and even went as far as recording the recipes I used for the dyes and the salt and soda solutions.  I also pre-marked my fabric samples and made a note of the quantities of dyes I had used so hopefully I can recreate it a need them again.

I found being organised has made me more aware of the colours I achieved and also where they weren't quite right I can tell from the colours I used how I can adjust them next time.   Once the main samples were done I used up the dyes I'd mixed with a bit of   'chuck it all in and see what comes out'.

Really pleased with the results and look forward to using them on February and March's JQs.


The fabrics along the bottom are the eight pieces I was systematic about, mixing lemon yellow and golden yellow with scarlet and magenta.  The two red/pink ones were using 2:1 yellow to magenta.  The other fabrics were the others which used up the orange dyes I have left, some with red added.


No comments:

Post a Comment