Pages

Saturday 13 January 2018

Another Year of Journal Quilts

I have again signed up for making a monthly Journal Quilt with Contemporary Quilters.  This year it has to be  7" x 9" landscape which I think is a lovely size to work with - not too big and not too small.

I have decided my quilts are going to be based on a log cabin block, hoping to push the boundaries a bit which I know for me is going to be a challenge as I love the formality of a traditional log cabin!  I'm also going to use my own dyed fabric which I will overprint using my gelli plate, again using new ideas as I go.  And finally I will be using the colour wheel as my palette, using each of the primary and secondary colours and then a combination of primary/secondary in between.

So starting in January I used a red palette and a more traditional block to start. The gelli printing wasn't as successful as I had hoped and found less is more in some cases.  I did a bit of foiling over the top to give it a bit of interest as it looked a bit flat. The piece of fabric I printed for the binding was more successful which considering this was just using up what was left on the gelli plate, maybe this is telling me something for next time.




Good starting point but looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment