Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Play Day with Thread and Shutter

Once again, Thread and Shutter members have had a day playing with fibres etc - the thing they like most of all.

This time we decided to make some silk paper.  Last year I had purchased some silk fibres to make silk paper at a Context workshop but at the last minute couldn't go, so I was really keen to have a go myself.  Fortunately, everyone else wanted to too!

Several years ago I bought a silk paper kit from a show and had come home and made two pieces of paper straightaway.   This was then put to one side so when we decided to have our own workshop, I found them and shaped them over a bowl and cup to make two vessels.   I did try to machine embroider one of the pieces before I shaped it but it was too thin so I just made the bowl.   What I should have done was use some water-soluble fabric - maybe next time!

I'm pleased with both the results but feel they need some stitching and beads so I will do this at some time in the future.
 
 
 
 
 

 This time round, I made two pieces of silk paper.

This first one was made from layers of silk hankies with other silk fibres, silk rods and gold flower petals added for detail.   Unfortunately I wrapped it in cling film to bring home and when I unwrapped it, the cling film had stuck to the paper and wouldn't come off!  To try and save it, I put another silk hankie on the top which on the whole has worked okay.  I love the edges that the silk hankies give.

Not too sure what will happen with this so watch this space!



The second piece was created with silk tops in red and purple (definitely not my normal colour range!) with sequins added to finish.   I am going to make this in to some form of vessel, lining it with some dyed fabric and sewing it together with beads - again, watch this space.


 
 
Using the silk hankies again, I made another vessel.  I love the edges around the top of the vessel and again, I'm going to stitch in to this one and add some beads.
 


 
The final piece was made by weaving some stripped silk carrier rods with pieces of cocoon added.
 
Again this needs some stitching on it - add it to the list!
 
 
 
A very productive day all round leaving me with lots of stitching to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment