Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Challenge Update - and it's not good!

The South Downs National Park Challenge is due in on 8th March and I have to admit, I have not enjoyed this one.

Spurred on by my friend Jo (who's imagination needs a much tighter control!) I had the idea of making a walking boot, combining felt and patchwork.

As you've seen from previous posts, I made the felt by hand and dyed the fabric all ready.  At this point I even decided to make a quilt to go with the boot!   I needle felted some flowers around the to of the boot and shaped it on a wellie and thought everything was going fine.   I then patched together the green fabric I had dyed in a field-like design, getting my inspiration from aerial photos of the South Downs.

Then came the difficult bit - putting the two together!   I have now made several attempts which have only resulted in the felt having to be re-done as the thinner bits were not up to the manhandling it was having, plus a very disgruntled textile artist.

Having put the 'boot' to one side, I went on and made the small quilt to match and I'm very pleased with the result so it all else fails, that will be my entry.

In the meantime, Jo is coming to visit next week and guess what?  She will be given the task of putting the two elements together!


Toe of boot with needlefelted flowers and machine stitching


Section of quilt with hand stitching and machine quilting
 
 
More news, and hopefully photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment