Pages

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Ice Dyeing

Did some Ice Dyeing a few days ago as I had acquired two bags of ice!

I did one lot as "Ice Parfait" where the fabric, ice and dye powder are layered in a tall container.  I did three layers, putting yellow at the bottom and blue and red on subsequent layers.   I was a bit concerned that the bottom layer would end up more sludge than clear colour, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The photos show the dyeing process followed by the resulting fabric.


 
 
I also did some "normal" Ice Dyeing, using mainly blue and turquoise dye powder as I needed a blue background for a piece of planned work.
 
Again the photos show the dyeing process and the resulting fabric.
 

 
 
In both dye pots I added a selection of threads as well:



I also had some vintage tray cloths with pulled thread work which I dyed with the intention of using them to make book covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment