Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Flotsam and Jetsam

For my birthday last November (goodness is it that long ago!), my Thread and Shutter friend Jo gave me a piece of felt she'd made together with beads, fabric scraps, threads, wire and pieces of bark.



I've pondered for far too long about what to do with it and during this time I have watched Jo work on a much larger piece of felt she'd made, stitching and adorning with all sorts of ephemera and odds and ends and as time went on I became more confused about what I wanted to do with my small piece!

In the end I made myself forget about Jo's work and just do what my instincts told me.   I cut it into strips and reassembled it and then felted the strips to a larger piece of felt.  I then felted fabrics and threads to it, stitched (only using herringbone) and added beads, wire objects, bits of shell and of course the pieces of bark.

I'm very pleased with the end result which I have called "Flotsam and Jetsam" because it reminded me of all sorts of things that we see washed up on the beaches during our many walks.

 
 
Some photos showing the detail:




 


No comments:

Post a Comment