Pages

Wednesday 30 December 2009

Experiments

A few month ago my daughter, Karen, went on a day course with Angie Hughes and bought me one of her kits. In a bored moment just before Christmas I remembered it in the drawer and gave it a go.

It uses velvet as the base and on to this you put bondweb. I have to admit this was a bit scary but that was the instructions! I then used a stencil I had seen Angie use at the FOQ this year to apply some foil. To this base I added some squares of organza and other shiny fabrics the topped with some organza. I then machined around the square shapes, adding more machining where I thought it needed then before finally attacking the piece with a heat gun. Just to add a bit more glitz, I added some beads and sequins.
Having got this experimental piece which I was quite pleased with, I used some more black velvet to make it up into a journal quilt, extending the machine quilting into the black velvet. I was not too sure what to do about the endging as I felt it could not take a bound edge so i just machined around the quilt and cut the edge with a wavy rotary cutter. I had some square beads which I had bought at the FOQ this year so I added these arounf the edge.
I pleasing result - I hope everyone else agrees!

1 comment:

  1. That's lovely! I adore the burning technique - it gives such interesting (and often unexpected) results.

    ReplyDelete