Pages

Saturday 19 December 2009

Block of the Month Quilt

For the last year I have been taking part in a block of the Month challenge at my quilt group, Greenstede Quilters. Having vowed never to make a quilt again, I'm not too sure why I decided to take part but having done so I did enjoy the process although it was more like "six blocks this month to catch up" rather than "block of the month! I had a selection of blue batik fabrics which I bought on a whim at the National patchwork Championship in 2008and had had sitting in a drawer ever since. I just love batik fabrics as I feel they do all the hard work for you and as long as the fabrics go together, you can't really go too wrong.

I have to admit to cheating on a few of the blocks, especially the ones with curves! I did make a Drunkard's Path, even if it was the cheats way by appliqueing circles to a square and then cutting it up. It came out very chunky because of the bondaweb and the size wasn't quite right either (accurate piecing was never my forte). I did have every intention of having another go when I'd got over the first one, but it was never to be. I also ditched the Dresden Fan which I just don't like. The quilting is a mix of free mchine quilting, quilt in the ditch and fancy stiches.

I'm really pleased with the finished result but I have renewed my vow not to make another quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment