Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Summer Hoop

Continuing on my plan to have a seasonal display on our mantelpiece, I created a hoop ready for Summer.

There was really no great planning to this as my first thought was to have beach huts as we spend so much time on one beach or another, particularly in Summer, and beach huts appear on all of them. It's only when you are designing within a hoop that you realise how little space there is so I did plan a bit so I got the size right.  I wanted three huts and it was a bit of a squeeze but I think they look okay.   Like the Spring hoop, I couched the same border of thread not that they will ever be displayed together, but my OCD mind required this!

The beach of sand and shingle is hand embroidered in French knots and close fly stitch with a few straight stitches between huts and beach.  The fabric for the huts was bonded and then hand stitched with back stitch and running stitch.

It just happened that week before I learnt a new stitch on my Sew4thesoul project - Eskimo lace stitch.  It starts with a running stitch and then a loop is added from below through the straight stitches - not a good explanation but there is plenty of info on the net if you want to know more.  I experimented with various colour combinations and then tried stitching it in a circle.  It worked so well I used it for the sun, adding a spiral of split stitch to fill the centre.

The pieces of shell were stitched on but I had to cheat with the shell which was glued on!




The hoop is in its place wait for other creative bits to be added.

No comments:

Post a Comment