Pages

Thursday 7 June 2018

Sea Glass

Since living close to the sea, we have become avid collectors of sea glass and never visit a beach without wandering along the shore line to see if we can spot some.

Most times we are lucky but it can vary from 2 or 3 pieces up to our best day when we found over 40 pieces.   The quality can vary from beautifully frosted pieces to those that look as though they were tossed in the sea the night before (these go straight in to the recycling bin).   We usually find white and green pieces, together with a few which have a bluish/turquoise colouring but we have high hopes that we will one day find a greater variety of colours.  A few weeks ago we found our first piece of real blue glass which caused great excitement!

This is typical of a 'normal' haul - including the first blue piece

For some time I have been wanting to use the glass for something but not sure what.   I've seen loads of jewellery made from sea glass, in fact I own a pair of earrings bought for me by my eldest daughter, but I don't feel the urge to get into making jewellery.

Finally I decided a do a small hanging just to see what it came out like and how easy if would be to glue the glass.   I started with an artist canvas and stuck the glass with normal pva glue which worked so I will just have to wait to see how long lasting it is.



The pieces at the bottom are the ones that had a blue tint to them, some being better than others.

Quite pleased with it!







No comments:

Post a Comment