Pages

Friday 30 June 2017

A new way forward

It's been a busy month with lots of projects on the go at once, all at different stages and none finished!

Added to that, we still spend half our time away from home and the wifi is a bit patchy and as I work from an IPad while we're there, I find posting with blogger more difficult than it is using a laptop.

There has been  much deliberation this month over which direction I wanted to go. I have for some years just dabbled with whatever takes my fancy, often trying out new ideas and techniques that I have seen other people do.  I'll still continue to do this as it is my way of learning what I like and what I don't like.  This was the main reason I signed up for Workshop on the Web and have found it very interesting and useful.  Alongside this I will continue with the Journal Quilts with Contemporary Quilts, using a variety of techniques. The main change is I am also going to develop pieces in what I hope will become my 'style'.

Over the past few years, when I was exhibiting with Thread and Shutter, I always include a patchwork piece made from small squares using dyed fabric and including photos.  The works included pieces based on rust, tulips and icebergs.


   

    

I'm going to start by keeping them smaller and hopefully will develop them as I go, incorporating different elements and techniques.

To start, I am using the "RUST" piece I shared in my previous post and will incorporate it in a small quilt that I will mount on a canvas frame.   At the moment I have cut all the squares from a variety of fabrics including my own dyed, commercial batik and some fabric that I used the same rusting powder on.  They are all ready pinned together waiting to be sewn together.


I will report back once the piece is all together and I get a chance to see how I am going to quilt and embellish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment