Pages

Sunday 24 January 2016

Retrospective 2

Back in the late 1980s, I was one of the original members of the East Grinstead branch of the Embroiderers Guild and during the time I was a member we had an exhibition at Hever Castle.

We spent some time before the exhibition drawing, painting and photographing at Hever for inspiration for the work we were to exhibit.

Some of the piece I created are still in my possession and definitely on my list of "will not be disposed of"!

The first is yet again a piece of canvas work.   The bag was based on a tudor bag design and comprised of two circles that interlocked.  The canvas work was worked with fabrics and threads that I dyed myself but also included some machine stitching as well.  The strap and tassels used the same dyed threads.

I loved this bag when I made it and I still love it as much today.






 

Another bag I made for the exhibition was inspired by the tiled roofs of the Tudor Village that is behind Hever Castle.

The "tiles" were made from dyed silk that had been embellished with machine embroidery which trapped fragments of other fabrics.   The tiles were then cut with a soldering iron and then stitched to a base fabric before the bag was constructed.   The strap was made by machining over a cord base and the button in covered in the same fabric as the tiles.

Once again, I love this bag as much today as I did when I made it.





No comments:

Post a Comment