Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2016

Retrospective 1

One good thing about moving is having to look through old work that hasn't seen the light of day for some years.   The down side is some of it has to go!

I've surprised myself at how ruthless I've been but made sure anything that went was photographed first so I so have something to remember.

Back in the 1980s I did City and Guilds Creative Embroidery Parts 1 an 2.  It was my first experience of any formal training in anything connected to art and textiles and it blew my mind!   This was really the beginning of the journey I'm still on and I don't think it's an exaggeration that it changed my creative soul.

Looking back over the work I brought back some happy memories and several surprises too so I thought over the next few weeks/months I would share some of this retrospective work.

This first collection  consists of canvas work which I loved and, as you will see, I did quite a few pieces.   I also tended to work in primary colours at this time, which again is apparent.    The first few ones were based on tulips.




And of course, in true C&G tradition, the design board that went with it!


 
 
The next group are other various examples based on canvas work.
 

 
Threads woven over netting


A view from a window
 
Black and White with canvas detail


Detail
   
Dyed threads worked on canvas
   
Detail
  
Stitches on canvas using various fabrics and threads


Detail
    
The final piece was inspired by a day spent dyeing thread and fabrics which hung out in the garden to dry one sunny summer's day.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment