Pages

Friday 27 November 2015

October and November JQs

Just a little bit behind on my Journal Quilts but managed to catch up so I now only have December to get done.

October was inspired by the colours of Autumn, always my favourite time of year as I just love the reds, rusts and golden brown colours that appear around us.   I used my own dyed fabric and strip-pieced the background, simple but effective!   The leaf stitched on top has the words of John Keat's Ode to Autumn, a favourite poem of mine since school days.  The machine quilting echoes the shape of the leaf.

As with previous quilts, I have bound the edges with the same fabric and stitched beads on the seam.  I bought some beads at Ally Pally this year to use on this quilt and they were stitched on the top and bottom edges.

 
  
 
 

For November it had to be fireworks - not that I'm a huge fan but it seems everyone who lives around us is!

I started by foiling a piece of my own dyed blue fabric.   I used some powdered glue that I have had for years and only just started to use.  As the foil only adheres to the particles, the result is much more speckled than be achieved using something like bondaweb.    I used some different colours to represent stars and sparks from the fireworks.

I then free machine embroidered firework bursts, adding some 'firework' words to finish.

Yet again I bound the quilt and stitched beads on the seam.


 
 
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment