Pages

Thursday 20 March 2014

Journal Quilts 2014

After much deliberation I decided to once again take part in the Contemporary Quilt Group Journal Quilt Challenge.

This year the quilts have to be 8" x 8" and must have a line going from one edge to another.   I didn't want to just have a random line in each quilt, instead I wanted the line to show a journey over the twelve quilts.  With this in mind a explored a couple of ideas and in the end decided to show the course of the River Arun from source to sea.  The Arun is a river we often cross in the course of our travels and as frequent visitors to Littlehampton, we often sit beside the river, usually with ice cream in hand!

Armed with OS maps I plotted the course and then divided in into twelve sections hoping that there would be something in each section that would inspire the design.   This I will only find out as I go.

In the first section the river is crossed by the Downs Link footpath which, according to the county website, is bordered by wild flowers and butterflies.   This inspired a design of flower-shaped quilt blocks with butterfly quilting finished off with a 3D butterfly made using water soluble fabric and machine embroidery.   The river crosses the top of the quilt and this was appplied and quilted.  I used a combination of my own dyed fabric and commercial fabrics.


So far I have only completed this first one so have a bit of catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment