Pages

Friday 23 August 2013

Two more Journal Quilts

Time is ticking on and I only have one week to get the August Journal Quilt finished and posted on Contemporary Quilts!

The June quilt, inspired by Charles Rennie Macintosh, has been finished for a while but only just transferred to the computer.

 


My daughter Karen recently visited Glasgow and was under orders to get me "something related to Charles Rennie Macintosh"!   I have always loved his work and would dearly love to go to Glasgow myself.   She returned with a plastic "thing" which was possibly a Christmas tree decoration as it had a hanging string attached.   I tried making a printing block of the design but with little success, possibly because I used rather hairy string!

I then tried printing with the actual token which was much more successful.   I decided to strip patch the prints to echo the chairs that CRM also designed.   The left hand print was beaded and then the strips were machine quilted in the ditch.



For the July Journal Quilt I used Art Deco as the theme and decided to use the Chrysler building in New York.   As time was running out, I painted the design on to fabric using silver and black fabric paint.


Everything went well until I started to quilt!   I began machine quilting around the triangle shapes, intending to then machine quilt the curves.   Unfortunately the silver paint has a slightly rubbery feeling so the top layer moved at a different rate to the backing.  Because of this I hand quilted the curves.   Not my finest quilting as the back shows, but I have learnt!   It may not have been as bad if I have used my walking foot but I didn't have it with me at the time.

The August quilt is nearly done so hopefully will be posted and uploaded in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment