Pages

Sunday 11 August 2013

Festival of Quilts

Had a great day yesterday at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham.

As always we never quite get the balance of traders/quilts right, probably spending far too much time shopping and not enough time looking at the quilts.  Having done some serious shopping first, we did spend time looking at the quilts in the Contemporary and Art Quilt categories.   I'm sorry to those that like traditional quilts (and I do still go back to the comfort of a traditional quilt) but other people's trad quilts do not do a lot for me.   I can appreciate the craftsmanship that has gone in to the making of them but not much else.

Once again though I did question why some were included in the Contemporary Quilt category as they seemed far more traditional to me.   Looking at the winners in the Contemporary and Art Quilt categories, I think the judges thought so too and stuck to the published criteria.

I've picked out a few that caught my eye....


Christine Heath

Sandra Grusd
 


 
Kate Crossley
The winner of the Contemporary Quilt category was Tuula Makinen, a well deserved winner.  The photo does not do justice to the range of fabrics used, some of which were transparent.  It certainly put a completely contemporary twist to hand pieced hexagons.
 
 
 
 
The Art Quilt winner was Jill Exell's Flight.   It has all the elements I would love to achieve in my work and totally achieves all the maker wanted.
 
 
I also want to include Sandra Meech's Triptych that was shown in the Through Our Hands gallery. I've always admired and loved her work and one day would love to do a workshop with her.
 
 
All in all a great day and yet again I left saying "next year......".  Who knows, perhaps I will enter next year as I have so much time on my hands now.

2 comments:

  1. I went to the festival of quilts for the first time this year, it always amazes me how everyone who has blogged about it has picked such different favourites. I don't think I've seen the same quilt twice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with my daughter and we took totally different photos! I don't even remember seeing some of the ones she photographed!

    ReplyDelete