Pages

Tuesday 15 May 2018

Embroidered Denim Jacket

Despite the lack of posts, I have been busy - I am someone who cannot sit and do nothing!

I started a new project a few weeks ago and this is one I will be working on for some time, so watch out for updates.

I have had a denim jacket hanging in my wardrobe for some time but in the last few years I have not worn it.  It had a lining (must have been a posh one!) which had ripped around one of the armholes which no doubt contributed to its lack of use.

Rewinding a few years, Quilting Arts featured a denim jacket that Susan Brubaker Knapp had covered with stitches and although several years have passed since I first saw it, the inspiration stayed with me so I decided it was time for me to start.

To prepare the jacket, I ripped/cut out the lining and was surprised to find the finish wasn't too bad although some parts did need tidying up.  I was just going to overstitch the edges but my daughter Clare suggested I get some pretty bias binding to use instead.  Great advice which I duly followed!

I started with a mandala as I had just finished my first embroidered mandala which I had enjoyed.  This was followed by two more mandalas on either side.   I now need to add some stitching to connect these as I feel they look a bit odd 'floating' at the sides.

Centre Mandala

Mandala which sit either side of the centre one
The next panel I worked on was really inspired by that first one I saw in Quilting Arts.  I used images of items I use when sewing - tape measure, cotton reel, scissors and needle and thread.  These were all done in outline and the background was then filled with seed stitches.   I plan to do another layer of seed stitches over the top of the first layer.

Detail of centre panel
Put them altogether and you have ......


I planned to wear it to a family party last week but the weather was so hot, jackets were not required!

This is very much a WIP and I have planned the next few designs to go on it but I will take my time to make sure it is just what I want.  I added an extra bit of stitching in the corner just so people know.







No comments:

Post a Comment