Pages

Saturday 16 February 2013

Reflection Quilt for Context Challenge

Last year's challenge for Context Group - the Contemporary Quilt/Textile Group I belong to - was "Reflections".   Our show and tell day was last week at our AGM.

Until about a month ago I was still very undecided just what to do.  Lots of ideas flying around inside my head but nothing strong enough to commit to fabric and thread.   I finally, in desperation  decided to use a photo of my friend and fellow Thread and Shutter member which shows the reflection of Welsh hills in a lake.

 
 
I took a small section and created a panel using merino tops which were felted to a background of dyed wadding.  I originally started to needlefelt the fibres but then my machine packed up (again!!!) so I had to wet felt the rest.  
 
Felted fibres


After trimming, I machined lines to add some detail, and then placed some trees by first machine embroidering some tree trunks and then using snippets of fabric with loose French knots.  I added some herringbone stitches, straight stitches and couched ruched knitted tape to give further detail.
 


 

The finished panel was then sashed with some fabric dyed especially for the hanging and machine quilted.



No comments:

Post a Comment