Pages

Monday 4 October 2010

Long Absence - But more rust!

I am shocked to find that I did not post at all during September!

I have been very busy but too often in a place away from the computer so I've been unable to post. Here is a selection of photos which show some of the pieces I've been working on. They are all based on the rust theme I am currently exploring ready for the planned exhibition next year.

The first one started as needlefelted fibres and fabrics which were then covered with organza and felted again. I did a bit of heating before adding machine and hand embroidery and then heating a bit at the end.



This second piece has some Lutradur which had a rubbing of the rust surface I have been using printed on to it. The backing is acrylic felt so after machining I heated both surfaces to create the holes. The piece was finished with some clusters of beads.



The final piece for now is based on a piece I saw in a recent Quilting Arts by Morna Crites-Moore. I couldn't find any old woollen jumpers so I knitted some squares and felted them before cutting them up.
Each of these pieces still need to be mounted for presentation but I'm still thinking about just how I will do it!

I've also done some pieces with the fabric I "rusted" so I'll get some photos posted in a few days. I had great trauma while sewing the main piece as I lost count of the needles I broke. The tension on my machine also went mad and I found free machining very hard work. I suspect the rust had something to do with it as I've done normal stuff since and had no problems.

2 comments:

  1. One effective way to combat rust problems is by the use of desiccants like Silica Gel. These are the same small sachets you find in packaging of various products like electronics, garments, etc.

    Silica Gel works by absorbing the moisture in its surrounding area. For most rust challenges, it does the job pretty well. Small sachets cost less than a dollar. It truly is a cost effective way of protection from moisture.

    There is a lot more information on our website at www.SilicaGel.net

    ReplyDelete